You are viewing the article What is Keycap? Let’s find out the popular keycap types today at Lassho.edu.vn you can quickly access the necessary information in the table of contents of the article below.
The trend of using mechanical keyboards is increasingly popular, because it serves the needs of users. In particular, keycap is one of the familiar concepts of mechanical keyboards. So what do you understand about keycap, let’s refer to the article What is keycap with lassho.edu.vn? Popular keycap types today!
What is Keycap?
If you are a person who often uses and loves mechanical keyboards, then you must have known the term keycap. This is a key used on a mechanical keyboard , in order to provide a better and faster typing experience for users.
In addition to providing fast typing speed, the keycaps also have an eye-catching, modern design and a variety of colors, sizes, and materials for customers to choose from. Keycap has many different price segments, suitable for a variety of users.
Why use keycap?
Keycap mechanical keyboards are not only popular and widely used by gamers, but also by ordinary users. So why should you use keycap for your keyboard:
- Help you shape your style, express your personality and preferences.
- Creating a feeling of typing is completely different from conventional keyboards.
- Decorate your work and entertainment space with more color, increase aesthetics, luxury and modernity.
- Support users to type with fast speed, high accuracy.
- Create excitement for you to work and study.
Material of keycap
ABS plastic is widely used in life, so keycaps are often made from this plastic. ABS provides high elasticity and good impact resistance. Mechanical keyboards with keycaps made from this plastic are relatively cheap, suitable for many consumers.
At the same time, the keys have very beautiful colors , impressing users at first sight, thanks to the color of bright ABS plastic. The keyboard uses this plastic to give you a solid, sturdy feeling, so when typing, it will make a characteristic click .
- High strength, good impact resistance.
- High elasticity.
- Reasonable price.
- Diverse models and designs for users to choose freely.
- Loss of aesthetics after a long time of use, because the surface of the keys is easy to shine.
- If exposed to the sun a lot, it is easy to yellow.
- Has a high level of slippery, so it has poor grip.
The keycap material is from PBT plastic which is also widely used, because of its rough, sturdy surface. Keycap is from PBT plastic material that will make a pop sound when typing.
PBT plastic is used in high-end mechanical keyboards and above, because it requires highly skilled and technical manufacturers because the resin has a fast adhesive speed. If the keyboard is not too expensive, the keycaps will be made from PBT plastic, and the keyboard frame is a combination of PBT and ABS.
- High strength, good heat resistance.
- Highly aesthetic, because after a period of use, the keyboard is not yellowed and the keys are glossy.
- The surface is rough, helping you to type more smoothly.
- Good resistance to dirt.
- Easy to clean and sanitize the keycaps.
- The cost is higher than other materials.
- Easy to break if hit hard, because it’s made of brittle plastic.
- Easy to warp.
- Keycap does not have bright colors, mainly dark and deep colors.
PC plastic has transparent properties, so it is modern and aesthetic when making keycaps. The manufacturer also attaches LED lights to the keycaps to create an impression and unique attraction to users.
However, PC plastic is not commonly applied to mechanical keyboards. You can find this material in high-end product lines from the Razer brand. Some keyboards also combine ABS and PC.
- High hardness and durability.
- After a long time of use, the keys are not yellowed and glossy.
- Withstands strong impact.
- Fashionable, highly aesthetic due to fancy transparency.
- Good temperature stability.
- If it is hit hard, it is easy to leave scratches that can be seen by the user, causing a loss of aesthetics for the product.
- It takes time to clean regularly.
POM . Plastic
POM plastic is one of the best plastics used to make keycaps, due to its very high resistance to force, integrated with the ability to limit scratches and strong detergent resistance.
However, very few crafters use this plastic to produce keycaps, because its price is quite high and it is too difficult to customize. Normally, POM plastic will be exclusively used by high-end manufacturers to mark their brands.
- Has high durability.
- Very good impact resistance.
- Easy to clean with strong detergents.
- Limit scratches.
- High aesthetics and luxury.
- The price of the product is quite expensive, so it is rarely used to produce keyboards.
- Difficult to craft.
- The surface grip is low, there is a slippery feeling.
PVC plastic is one of the plastic types commonly used by manufacturers to make mechanical keyboards, because it is sturdy and sturdy . The big technology goods also apply this plastic in their products and have an affordable and reasonable price.
However, PVC plastic is not heat resistant, easily affected by temperature, because it has only medium hardness and strength.
- Various colors and designs.
- Easy to clean and clean up after long time use.
- Less warping.
- Low price.
- Poor heat resistance.
- Hardness is just average.
- When in use, there is no high grip.
Besides being made of plastic material, these keycaps these days are also made from metal, contributing to enhancing the user’s style with a variety of unique and eye-catching models . These keycaps use metal mainly aluminum, zinc and alloy because they all have the appropriate weight for mechanical keyboards.
The keys made of metal material have a beautiful and fashionable design, but it will cost more because of the high requirements at the production stage. In addition, users can print pictures and text on the keys to create their own personality.
- High durability and certainty.
- Good heat resistance.
- Unique, fancy and impressive products for users.
- Various colors and designs for users to choose freely.
- When typing makes a loud noise.
- Easy to stick to fingerprints in some keycaps.
- Expensive price.
Keycap molding and printing method
The characters on the keyboard are very important, if they are discolored, lose letters or numbers, it will make you feel uncomfortable and affect the use process. The keycap casting and printing method will include the following methods:
- Pad printing : Commonly used in all kinds of keyboards because of the simple production method, the durability is not high. This method selects existing characters and places them on the key and then prints them directly, then adds a few layers of preservation after printing.
- Foaming : Draw text using a laser that creates a thin layer of tiny bubbles. However, they are very susceptible to dust and yellowing because of their rough surface.
- Laser etching : Apply on white keycaps. The laser will burn the plastic to a moderate depth, forming characters.
- Laser printing : Use a laser to print on the keys.
- Laser etching with paint fill : Wide range of applications in a variety of keycaps. This method still uses the way of laser etching, but when the engraving is complete, the color will be poured into the engraved position.
- Laser engraving : Create characters by coating them with black UV paint, then the laser will remove the paint to reveal the character part. This method applies mainly to keyboards with lights.
- Double shot : This method has high durability, limiting fading thanks to the selection of 2 separate plastic layers, one for the keycap and the other for the text.
- Dye-sub : Using heat to bring ink deep into the keycap surface, helping to bring durability and clarity. However, this method is quite picky about the type of plastic to print, only printing dark characters and difficult to create color contrast between characters.
Note when buying and using keycap
Keycap has a variety of models, designs and materials corresponding to different prices, giving users comfort when choosing products. When buying a keycap, you need to choose the right one for your needs, preferences, finances and should choose to buy a keycap with a clear brand, origin and warranty policy.
However, when choosing the right keycap, users also need to note some issues when using it:
- Check the compatibility between the keycap and the mechanical keyboard.
- Clean the keycap and keyboard regularly for the best experience.
- If you want to replace a new keycap for the keyboard, you should use a special tool to remove it, that tool is called a key puller . At the same time, combined with gentle, detailed and meticulous operation, avoiding damage and affecting other parts of the keyboard.
- When mounting, you need to install it in the correct position to avoid the wrong function of the key.
Hope the above article will help you know what keycap is? Types of keycap are popular today to have a choice to buy to suit the needs of use. Any questions please leave a comment below!
Thank you for reading this post What is Keycap? Let’s find out the popular keycap types today at Lassho.edu.vn You can comment, see more related articles below and hope to help you with interesting information.